It was a few days ago when reports had surfaced about Samsung’s latest phablet Galaxy Note 7 catching fire during charging. I received the report with trepidation as I am Samsung Note 2 user, writes Noushu Ali.
Moreover, I heaved a sigh of relief too and bragged about the qualities of my Samsung Note 2. But my relief turned out to be short lived as now a TOI report pointed out that Samsung Note 2 caught fire on flight to Chennai.
Following which the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has asked flyers to be careful with all Samsung Note devices.
“The crew noticed smoke from the bin and found the device was emitting smoke after possibly catching fire. They used fire extinguishers on it. We advise flyers to exercise caution while flying with Samsung Note devices. They should either keep these devices switched off or not travel with them,” said a spokesperson of DGCA.
An IndiGo statement said: “IndiGo confirms that a few passengers travelling on 6E-054 flight from Singapore to Chennai noticed the smoke smell in the cabin this morning (September 23, 2016) and immediately alerted the cabin crew on board. The crew quickly identified minor smoke coming from the hat-rack of seat 23 C and simultaneously informed the pilot-in-command who further alerted the ATC of the situation on board.”
The situation was handled efficiently by the staff on the aircraft and no untoward incidents took place with the aircraft being landed and all passengers deplaned.
Following the incident, the airline said: “We are thankful to passengers for their vigilance and cooperation extended to the crew on board.”
TOI reported that Samsung was reached for comment and its version was awaited at the time of filing this report.
“We are aware of an incident involving one of our devices. We are in touch with relevant authorities to gather more information, and are looking into the matter,” a Samsung spokesperson said as reported by NDTV.
The development has certainly send shock waves among Samsung Note 2 users. Earlier many had thought that maybe due to some technical fault there were major issues with Galaxy Note 7.
A Samsung buff Rozy said the news left here stumped.
“I have been using Samsung Note 2 for the last several years. And I am really a fan of the device. Recently when my device developed some issue rather than dumping it I got it fixed from the Samsung Workshop in Delhi. Since then I have been using it and have faced no problem. I think that users need to be careful while using the phone. They should see to it that the device doesn’t get too hot during charging or talking. Other precautions also need to be taken about battery life and its originality.”
OKHLATIMES was not able to verify the incident independently.