As smoke billowed from a site where tent items were piled-up on roadside at Okhla Head, residents got horrified, rushing to the spot to extinguish the fire.
The 2:30 am fire today took people living in the area by surprise. Thanks to timely action by a few alert residents that the fire was doused before it could spread to adjoining residential areas, according to eyewitnesses.
The spot where fire took place is located a few meters from the MCD School at Okhla Head.
“We don’t know how the fire started. But yes we were sleeping in our house when we saw flame rising up to second floor. Panicked residents rushed to the spot and anyhow managed to douse the fire that many said took place due to some snag in the wire under which the tent items were kept,” said Mahfooz Alam, who works in a hotel opposite the site.
Mangled items were seen lying on the roadside at about 5 pm. Moreover, smoke was coming out from some items. When asked did fire brigade turn up, a resident, who witnessed the fire said: “Residents managed to control the fire. For a while everybody was scarred as the black smoke engulfed the spot. Even our windows were cracked from the impact of the fire.”
Just opposite the site is located a few eateries and residential houses.
Alam said two youth were around the fire site were handed over to police by residents. The main reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained. As summer peaks up a few days ago a fire was reported in a house in Abul Fazal Enclave near N Block. No causalities were reported in both the incidents.