A man in Shaheen Bagh died after being electrocuted on high tension line, according to residents. It is understood that the labour got electrocuted as he was working in a house that was under the high tension wire. The incident took place today at about 1:30 pm, claimed residents.
The two men were identified as Bhura and Intihaar and they were working on the roof of an under-construction house a few metres from a 220 kV power line at the time of incident, said police.
“They were laying tiles on the roof. They came in contact with the wire while operating a tiles-cutter machine,” said a police officer. Bhura died on the spot while Intihaar was taken to Safdarjung Hospital.
Local residents could not understand the reason behind the blast. “There was a loud sound… when we looked for the source of the sound, we found the two men lying on the roof,” said Mohammed Hafeez, a resident.
“People have started encroaching on the land under the power lines. The fact that a 220 kV power line was situated above the balcony of a building reflects utter violation of regulations,” said Rishi Raj Bhati, spokesperson of Delhi Transco Limited.
This is not first-off case in Okhla where many houses are built illegally under high tension wire. A few months ago a man was electrocuted in Abul Fazal Enclave as he was working close by a mosque that has been built under high tension wire. Anyhow he was lucky as he had survived the attack. However, in the last few years many cases have surfaced in Jamia Nagar with report surfacing about how a student too had died after being electrocuted by high tension wire.
Many residents have got notice too to vacate the house and buildings constructed under high tension wire. As the flats prices are less than the usual one, many resident don’t hesitate to take the risk of purchasing such houses, claimed resident on the condition of anonymity.
Many experts are of the opinion that houses should not be around high tension line. But this order is fluted with impunity in Jamia Nagar, claimed residents.