High tension wires explosion rattles Shaheen Bagh, plumbers hurt
OT, October 23, 2012 15:54 IST
Okhla Times Reporter/Shaheen Bagh
A huge explosion rattled Shaheen Bagh at about 1: 45 PM today.
Many rushed out of their houses to find out the reason behind the deafening explosion. And it was then that they realized that the explosion on the 5th floor of G 51/5, Shaheen Bagh, near Sarita Vihar road, was because of the high tension wires (high voltage overhead electricity line).
A few plumbers working on the site got severely injured. Till the filing of the report their conditions were not known.
An eyewitness to the incident, Zia Ansari told OKHLATIMES that the main reason of the explosion is yet not known.
“But a neighbour told me that the explosion took place when some plumbers were working on the top floor of the building. The explosion happened when a wire touched the high tension wires located nearby. Melted wires were found scattered on the fifth floor,” he said.
It is understood that some computers and televisions of the nearby shops were also closed.
A few cases of death
Recently a local was severely injured when an explosion happened at a roof top of a mosque being built illegally under a high tension wires in G block of Abul Fazal Enclave. The resident was lucky to survive the explosion that had taken place after a wire had touched the high tension wires. But two students in a nearby flat had died in one such accident a few years ago.
In the G 51/5 incident even some residents pointed out about this fact.
But this has not deterred many people from purchasing lands and flats located under the high tension wires at throw away. Even a hospital and mosque have come up recently in this no zone.
Some residents had planned to initiate talks with the officials to shift the high tension wires to the Yamuna bank. But it has not worked and it appears that it is not a feasible project and may cost a lot of money.
Despite the health hazard these spots continue to be sold. And residents too are purchasing these lands knowingly. Some doctors are of the opinion that low-frequency electromagnetic fields emitted from high tension (high voltage) overhead electricity line is not good for health.
Post a comment