Abul Fazal's Sharam Vihar sealed, demolition may begin any time
OT, December 3, 2012 02:03 IST
Okhla Times Reporter/Okhla
Shram Vihar, a small ‘illegal’ colony in Abul Fazal Enclave part III, has been sealed and residents have been stopped from moving outside, according to Yusuf Jamal, president RWA.
He told OKHLATIMES over phone that force landed in the colony this morning with bulldozers and the area has been surrounded. “We are worried about the safety of our property and houses. We are doing our best to avoid any demolition drive. Our people are in touch with politicians and other officials to save the colony.”
Abul Fazal Enclave resident Jawed Akhtar, who was on the spot, said: “Police force with bulldozers is camping in the area to demolish the colony.” Till the filing of the report, MLA Khan and some residents were meeting with Sheila Dikshit seeking her support in stopping the demolition drive.
OKHLATIMES was the first to report about the demolition danger being faced to the colony on November 25.
Since then residents have been meeting officials with documents convincing them that the colony was legal. Two days ago, Ansar Mallick had said residents had got relief of some 20 days. But when force turned up in huge numbers at their colony that has some 150 houses many residents were shocked.
“It appears that the decision was taken last night and hence the force is here,” claimed Jamal.
Okhla MLA Asif Md Khan too is upset with the development. He said: “I don’t understand how come the colony is on the list. The government has already made a decision that populated colonies will not be demolished. Where will these poor people go?”
Post a comment