India Wisdom Foundation (IWF) distributed scholarships to meritorious and needy students in Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) on the eve of Independence Day. The function was organized at the Ismat Literacy Centre behind the university post office here on Sunday.
Scholarships worth Rs.210,000 were distributed among 36 students from school to professional courses like engineering. Prof Masood-ul Hasan, retired professor of English, and Mother Mary Stanislaus, former principal, Our Lady of Fatima School, Aligarh, were the chief guests who encouraged the students to work hard and excel in life.
Dr Shahid Jameel, one of the founding members of IWF, said: “The idea is to motivate students from financially poor background. We want to tell them that financial considerations should not come on their way if they want to study.”
The India Wisdom Foundation (IWF) is a zero-expense NGO that was set up in 2009 and was registered in 2011 in New Delhi under the Societies Act. In 2014 it received tax exemption under 120AA and 80G of the Income Tax Act.
IWF was set up for the purpose of assisting the weaker sections of Indian society in the fields of education and health. It places a great deal of emphasis on educating the girl child and keeping her healthy.
Over the years, IWF has carried out the following activities.
The Aligarh Project
The Aligarh Project is a scholarship program to support the education of meritorious students, who are unable to afford it. Every year 30-35 students are supported through this program with a spending of about Rs. 2.5 to 3 lakhs. The students range from middle school through university. Some highlights of the program are the following.
1. Imran Habeeb Ansari – Topper in Diploma Engg, AMU; Direct admission to B.Tech, AMU; completed B.Tech and M.Tech from AMU. Currently employed in UP govt Irrigation Department.
2. Durreshewar – Supported by IWF for MBBS coaching; selected in MBBS, AMU in first attempt; completed MBBS in 2015; selected for MD in first attempt.
3. Hareram Kumar Sharma – Rank 41 in IIT-JEE; supported with admission and first year expenses; studying in B.Tech (Mech) at IIT-Madras.
4. Sumayya Naseer – Passed Class X with 10 CGPA; studying in Aligarh Public School
5. Mohd. Mazin Jameel – Passed Class VIII with all A grades; studying in Our Lady of Fatima School
Girls Education and Health
India Wisdom Foundation provides financial support to the Ismat Literacy Centre of the AMU Ladies Club. This Centre provides non-formal education and vocational training to about 200 girls of various ages.
IWF also provides Iron-Folic acid and Calcium supplements to post-puberty age girls studying in the Ismat Literacy Centre. This is to fight anemia and keep them healthy.
IWF supported education of two school-going girls, who were the victims of acid attack. With sustained support, one girl has completed BA from Delhi University and the other has completed the nursing course from Jamia Hamdard.