Wednesday , November 22 2017
Home / Report / Acid attack victim Gulista dies after battling burn injuries for 45 days

Acid attack victim Gulista dies after battling burn injuries for 45 days

Reports have surfaced how an acid attack victim battling her burn for 45 days finally succumbed to her injuries in a hospital of Delhi.

A resident of Ghaziabad, acid was poured on Gulista by her jilted lover. The 22-year-old girl, daughter of Jameel Qureshi was attacked at her home when she was sleeping on the intervening night of March 21 and March 22.

The accused is understood to have allegedly entered the house from the backyard of an under-construction house adjacent to the victim’s home. Once inside, the accused poured concentrated acid over her while she was asleep.

This is not the first incident in the family as nearly 36 years ago Gulista’s grandfather, Haji Mallu Qureshi, was similarly attacked by their tenants.

Superintendent of Police (City) Aakash Tomar said the woman, a resident of Kaila Bhatta in Kotwali area, died at Safdarjung Hospital yesterday.


It is understood that the accused took the drastic step after a marriage proposal from his side was rejected. The accused was arrested later. And interestingly despite losing her vision, she got her attacker arrested by recognising his voice when he visited the hospital.

Gulista heard Shahrukh’s voice while he was talking to her mother and she immediately informed her mother about it, reported HT.

Following her death, residents in a small lane near Markaz Masjid were seen in pain.

“She was showing signs of recovery but for the past two days she was silent and did not talk. We were suspicious that something wrong had happened. Sunday morning, she left us. Often, she enquired about everyone at home and told us that she would recover and go back home,” Qureshi said.

After Shahrukh was arrested on April 5, this is what former SP (city), Salmantaj Patil, had said: “Shahrukh told Gulista’s mother that he had a soft corner for her daughter and could not hold himself from meeting her. He anticipated that she may not survive. She suffered nearly 50% burns and her eyes were also affected. However, when he went to the hospital abruptly and spoke to her family, she recognised his voice. Police later tracked and arrested him.”

The daily reported that the accused hailed from Dadri in Greater Noida.

“Most parts of her body got burnt but she was more concerned about the recovery of her eyes. Her vision almost got impaired after the acid attack. We suspect that she suffered some infection in the head. The other parts of the body got severely burnt too. The doctors at the hospital did their best. I even donated two units of blood to a person in the hope that my good deed may help my daughter recover. But she left us all,” Qureshi said as HT reported.

If you have news tip or story idea, photo or video please email at to strengthen local governance and community journalism. Also you can join us and become a source for OT to help us empower the marginalized through digital inclusion.

Check Also

Serve people with care, concern and dedication: Sisodia tells Civil Services probationers

A group of Mizoram Civil Services probationers today called on Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Powered by