Driving during foggy days is no cakewalk. To stay safe commuters should take precautionary measures. And with fog engulfing the national Capital bringing down visibility level, it is important that drivers take precaution. The Delhi Traffic Police has released traffic advisory for residents.
“It is advised that motorists observe certain precautions to avoid accidents and related injuries. Motorists are advised to take following measures to avoid mishaps due to fog,” it said.
1. Before you drive — and during your trip – check weather forecasts.
2. If there is a fog warning, delay your trip until it clears.
3. If you are caught driving in fog, follow these safe-driving tips.
4. Slow down gradually and drive at a speed that suits the conditions.
5. Make sure the full lighting system of your vehicle is turned on.
6. Use your low –beam headlights, High beams reflect off the moisture droplets in the fog, making it harder to see.
7. If you have fog lights on your vehicle, use them, in addition to your low-beams.
8. Be patient, Avoid passing, changing lanes and crossing traffic.
9. Use pavement marking to help guide you. Use the right edge of the road as a guide, rather than the centre line.
10. Increase your following distance. You will need extra distance to brake safely
11. Look and listen for any hazards that may be ahead.
12. Reduce the distractions in your vehicle. For example, turn off your cell phones, music your full attention is required.
13. Watch for any electronically operated warning signs.
14. Keep looking ahead as far as possible.
15. Keep your windows and mirrors clean. Use your defroster and wipers to maximize your vision.
16. If the fog is too dense to continue, pull completely off the road and try to position your vehicle in a safe parking area. Turn on your emergency flashers, in addition to keeping on your low-beam headlights.
1. Don’t stop on the travelled portion of the road. You could become the first link in a chain-reaction collision.
2. Don’t speed up suddenly, even if the fog seems to be clearing. You could find yourself suddenly back in fog.
3. Don’t speed up to pass a vehicle moving slowly or to get away from a vehicle that is following too closely.
4. Do not overdrive your headlights.