Rare bird electrocuted in Okhla park: After the accidental death of a rare of the rarest specie in Okhla Bird Sanctuary a small flock of darters have been found leaving the park, according to officials and a report. It has been reported by a daily that a baby snakebird or Oriental Darter was electrocuted by a high-tension line that passes through the sanctuary. Officials and bird lovers found the near-threatened species dangling from the write in the precincts.
The incident has sparked a debate among bird lovers who for sometime have been pointing out the danger to rare birds that visit the sanctuary from across the world from the high-tension wire.
“This is the first time such a thing has happened in the sanctuary. One wonders why and how a water bird would reach the height of high tension cables. It is indeed sad and there is nothing that we can do about the cable at the moment,” I C Singh, forest ranger at Okhla Bird Sanctuary, told TOI.
Sanctuary employees too have accepted to the fact of danger to not only birds but human beings too from the 400 kV high tension line of 400 kV running through the Okhla sanctuary. Some have been found electric current in cars parked near the line.
“If there is a storm or if a cable snaps, it could be a threat to employees in the sanctuary,” Singh said as reported by TOI.
T K Roy, an ecologist, said the bird’s death might have created a scare among rest of the darter family. “Not a single Oriental Darter has been found after that. It is a loss to the sanctuary’s ecology,” he said.
CAPTION: Homepage photo credit Okhla Bird Sanctuary