It was 10 am residents were going through the stuff that survived the inferno in Batla House’s Joga Bai extension (S block) in a late night fire started due to short circuit.
For one hour residents tried to douse the fire that engulfed the area until fire brigade came inordinately late, complained residents with one person sustaining minor burn injuries.
“It was around 12:15 that fire broke out due to short circuit and it started spreading. The plastics that were kept in the jhuggis caught fire. The first thing that residents did was to run for safety leaving behind their belongings. The flame was high and even touched another house located a few metres from the jhuggis. Mostly people from West Bengal were leaving save a house that also caught fire. It was after more than hour that the fire brigade turned up saying that they lost the route. They took one hour to douse the fire,” said Danish Ahmad, who owns the land.
However, residents gave varied timing, but all lamented for the late arrival of fire brigade. “The firemen came really late. After coming to know about the fire I rushed to the spot, said councillor Shoaib Danish.
Residents were seen talking about how washing machine and TVs blowing. In all 14 jhuggis were gutted with no causality reported. Two bikes were also destroyed in the fire.
Other local leaders also turned up at the spot with many breaking the news on the social media, sharing photos and videos of the event.
Several people were seen visiting the spot to inspect what really went wrong with some people in the locality not aware of the incident.