Supreme Court on Babri Masjid-Ram Janam Bhoomi: Statement by Dr Syed Zafar Mahmood, Convener, Watan ki Fikr & President, Zakat Foundation of India.
Muslims can be persuaded to agree to the construction of Ram Mandir at the Babri Masjid site in Ayodhya provided the following are accepted, approved and implemented by the Government:
1. The constituencies of Lok Sabha and state assemblies where Muslim population is very high while the Scheduled Caste percentage is not among the highest should be de-reserved. Instead, reserve those constituencies where SC percentage is among the highest, as recommended by Sachar Committee.
2. The Alternative Admission Criteria for undergraduate level admission into all universities and colleges of India should be accepted, approved and implemented as recommended by Sachar Committee.
3. To fill the posts of CEO of state waqf boards the central government should accept, approve and implement the launching of Indian Waqf Service as recommended by the Sachar Committee.
4. The RBI proposal of allowing the banks to have a window for interest less banking should be approved by the central government.
5. The Minority character of Aligarh Muslim University should be accepted, approved and implemented by the central government.
6. Any person who is charged of terror activity and is, after several years of multi-dimensional sufferance, is exonerated by the court as innocent should be given Rs fifty lakh as compensation by the government. Later on, this money should be partly deducted from the salary/pension/provident fund/retirement benefits of the officer(s) who wrongly implicated him.
7. Give proportionate share to Muslims in nominated posts and appointments under the state & central governments.
8. Appoint Equal Opportunity Commission at the centre and in the states as recommended by Sachar Committee.
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed are of the author.